Memorial Hermann Northwest Hospital
1635 North Loop West
Houston, Texas 77008
Developed, owned, and operated by Memorial Hermann, Memorial Hermann Northwest Hospital is comprised of two major buildings -- the six-story North Tower (1983 vintage) and the four-story South Tower completed in 2003. The total combined square footage of the complex is 442,760 square feet and serves the acute care needs of northwest Houston, including the historic Houston Heights district.
Memorial Hermann Northwest initiated extensive energy management efforts in 2007. Significant tasks that have been completed which had a direct impact on energy consumption at the campus include: T-8 lighting retrofits, installation of high efficiency condensing boilers, extensive test and balance efforts for chilled water distribution systems and retro-commissioning of building controls. Coincidently, the original (1983) building was equipped with energy recovery heat wheels to pre-treat outside air which was a very progressive concept in 1983. One of the first efforts completed by the team was to recondition these aging components to complement the ongoing test and tune efforts for the hospital's HVAC system. Energy awareness combined with extensive building control training were initiated for key Engineering Operations staff while existing HVAC control strategies were targeted for maximum performance and energy efficiency.
Our objective in re-commissioning the buildings was to reduce energy consumption (operating costs), and improve indoor air quality; all while extending equipment life to ensure occupant comfort. This project has shown substantial savings to the bottom line with a very attractive payback, all while accruing fiscal and environmental benefits to the Houston community.
Memorial Hermann, the largest not-for-profit healthcare system in Texas, is proud to participate in the Energy Star program and considers excellence in energy utilization a complement to its efforts to provide Houston with the most advanced, innovative care possible.
Submitted by: Benny Stansbury, Director of Engineering
Michael Hatton, System Executive